We Love Snowmobiling
Our biking trail system is second to none in the warmer months and gives way to the roar of snowmobiles in the winter – on excellent, groomed trails. There’s deep wilderness and great restaurants and wondrous magic along the way.
The highly acclaimed “rails to trails” North Central State Trail and the Northeastern State Trail intersect in Cheboygan. These groomed trails provide access all many other groomed trails, rugged seasonal ones just for snowmobiles, and a vast network of logging trails through our forests and woodlands. There are thousands of acres of public lands for the truly adventurous as well.
Our many inland lakes are also some of the finest expanses of safe, snow covered ice in Northern Michigan.
Cheboygan is very friendly city when it comes to snowmobiles but it helps to know the Rules and Regulations. So here you go.
- Yield to all vehicle and pedestrian traffic. Pedestrian traffic has the right-of-way on designated sidewalk areas of the trail.
- Be familiar with all local laws and ordinances.
- Operate snowmobiles safely and with regard for other people’s rights and property.
- Ride on designated snowmobile trails and follow trails. Michigan trail permit is required
- Ride only on designated city street shoulders.
- Ride only on designated sidewalks or right of ways areas.
- Do not exceed a speed in excess of 15 MPH on any city street, designated sidewalk right of way, or in any residential or business area.
- Snowmobiles will operate in single file only.
- Hours of operation: 6:00 a.m. to 12 midnight
- Come to a complete stop at all intersections along the trail or designated streets and right of way.
- Wear helmets at all time
- Do not ride on undesignated streets or highways.
- Do not ride on private or posted property.
- Do not ride on golf courses, cemeteries, tree plantations, farm fields, airports, or within 100 feet of ski, skating, or sled areas.
- Do not ride on frozen public waters of the Cheboygan River or within 100 feet of the Cheboygan River Banks.
We’ve got all the snowmobile maps of the area waiting for you at the Cheboygan Area Chamber of Commerce, located right downtown. So come on by on your sled. We’ll be glad to help!
Centrally located just a couple blocks off of Main Street, the newly completed trailhead features ample parking for vehicles pulling even the longest snowmobile trailers. Restrooms at the trailhead are open year-round for your comfort. And remember, Cheboygan is open to snowmobile traffic and we are very accommodating to snowmobilers. Feel free to ride your sled along the designated routes to downtown shopping, dining, and lodging.
Located a short drive from Cheboygan, the Black Mountain Recreation Area provides over 80 miles of groomed trails. Snowmobilers can travel from Cheboygan to Black Mountain and all the way to Millersburg right on their sled, with fantastic sights and places for refreshment along the way.
Click here for in depth and updated trail reports for the Northern Michigan region.